Saturday, March 29, 2008

This week we put in the seeds for cabbage , Kale, I thought let try that this winter and it looked a lot like a vegetable, some body gave us and we try to keep going because the mothers like it so much, they called it Zimbabwe cabbage.
So when I bought the packet with seeds I thought great we can have lots now. Then I found out(everyone in Holland ) that it is boerekool, so you see that is how much I know about growing vegetables!!!
But this winter the children at the school will have Hollandse boerekool.
It is also called "Chou Moellier"sounds a lot more interesting then Boerekool.
It is ideal because you dont use the whole plant you just keep picking the leaves off and it will keep growing, I love vegetables like that , Swiss Chard the spinach here is also like that, you just keep on eating from it.
I have learnt so much these last few years about growing vegetables, I hope I can do more companion planting this year and try to plant different vegetables together at the same time so that when the one lot of veggies is finished, the next lot will be ready to be picked.
I want to try not to have any empty bed this year. Hope I will get it right.
If anyone out there has some advice please sent it to me , believe me I can use it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep up the amazing work!!